Maidenhead United 1 Harrogate Town 2: Second goal was always coming - Langmead

Harrogate Town bounced back from their midweek defeat to Salford City, beating Maidenhead United by a 2-1 scoreline.

Saturday, 1st December 2018, 9:59 pm
Updated Monday, 3rd December 2018, 11:20 am
Kelvin Langmead wheels away in celebration after netting Harrogate Town's late winner at Maidenhead. Pictures: Matt Kirkham

Kelvin Langmead struck 12 minutes from time to decide Saturday's National League contest, and the 33-year-old centre-half said afterwards that he was confident a winner was always coming, despite seeing a whole host of chances go begging.

"It was always going to be a tough game, they'd had a couple of positive results and this is a really tough place to come. They made it very difficult for us," Town's match-winner reflected.

Jack Muldoon is denied on the Maidenhead goal-line.

"We wanted a reaction and to bounce back from Tuesday night and I think we did that.

"We felt like we were on top [at half-time]. To be 1-1, we were really disappointed, but we knew we were the better team, we knew there was more to come from us, so it was just about making sure we put them under a lot of pressure and forced that second goal.

"We're always an attacking threat, so we knew a chance would come and thankfully, I was there to take it this time.

"We were piling pressure on them. It was another great ball in, Becky [Mark Beck] has done extremely well to get on the end of it and nod it down and I managed to anticipate it and sweep it home. I'm delighted."

Match-winner Kelvin Langmead.

Callum Howe's sixth goal of the season handed Town an 11th-minute lead, the big centre-half getting on the end of Mark Beck's header back across goal from a George Thomson corner.

The visitors went on to take charge of proceedings, Ryan Fallowfield getting forward from right-back to force home stopper Carl Pentney into action before Jack Muldoon fired against a post.

Top-scorer Muldoon then looked to have a simple tap-in just a couple of yards out following a goal-mouth scramble, but some superb last-ditch defending by Ayo Obileye and Alan Massey meant the ball somehow stayed out of the net.

Disaster then struck for Town when goalkeeper James Belshaw picked up a Langmead back-pass.

Warren Burrell gets on the ball.

The resulting free-kick from inside the box was fired goalwards by Reece Cole for Adrian Clifton to apply a finishing touch, levelling matters in the 25th minute.

Obileye then had a chance to move the hosts in front, though he couldn't direct an effort from James Comley's inviting cross on target.

Just before half-time it was Harrogate who passed up the opportunity to bag their second of the afternoon, Jack Emmett shooting over the top after Pentney parried a Muldoon effort into his path.

The second period began with Howe powering a header from another Thomson corner narrowly too high, before Josh Falkingham also went close.

Town supporters enjoy their team's victory.

The game's decisive moment eventually arrived in the 78th minute as Leesley's corner dropped for Langmead to sweep home on the turn.

Leesley almost added number three, turning his marker inside out before shooting against an upright, however Simon Weaver's men had already done enough.

Victory moves Town up to third place in the National League standings.