Yorkshire Premier League North and York Senior League: Superb start for Sessay

Sessay CC's ECB Yorkshire Premier League North debut could hardly have gone better as they took maximum points in front of their home supporters, bowling out Acomb for just 79.

Tuesday, 1st May 2018, 10:30 pm
Updated Wednesday, 2nd May 2018, 8:06 am
Stuart Peirse impressed with the ball as Sessay beat Acomb. Picture: Caught Light Photography

Mark Wilkie’s side were promoted as York Senior League champions last term and made an encouraging start to 2018.

In difficult batting conditions, Jacob Spencer’s 38 turned out to be the top score in the hosts’ total of 139/8, opening bowlers Tom Neal (4-44) and William Thurgate (3-40) seemingly having put the visitors on top.

Three wickets from Stuart Peirse (3-16) helped reduce Acomb to 31/5 in reply, however, and they were eventually dismissed 60 runs short.

In Division One, Charles Scatchard (39) and Dan Coad (38) gave Studley Royal the early advantage against visiting Whitkirk, but the away side fought back to dismiss their hosts for 179.

In response, the visitors slumped to 71/7 and Royal looked to be heading for victory however James Malthouse (17 not out) and Michael O’Brien (18 not out) held firm for more than 14 overs to earn their team a draw, Dan Craven finishing as the pick of a frustrated attack with 3-26.

Tadcaster Magnets were asked to bat first at home to Easingwold 2nds in Galtres Division Two, but they didn’t fare too well and were all out for 102.

Easingwold made it home for the loss of just three wickets to wrap up the spoils in the 31st over.

Five wickets on the first weekend of the new season for Lee Margerison (5-19) saw Sessay 2nds decimate Duncombe Park’s batting line-up.

Park capitulated to 45 all out and the visitors knocked the required runs off inside 17 overs to depart Helmsley with a comfortable 30 points.

Thorp Arch & Boston Spa’s Toby Wells took 4-18 as a late flurry of wickets fell to leave Hovingham 157/9 at the interval.

The home team started slowly but surely and despite losing six wickets in their chase, Andy Jones with 31 and George Gibson with 28 not out saw them past their target in the 37th over.

Bilton-in-Ainsty visited Thirsk for their first round fixture and were asked to bat first.

Ross McAndrew ensured that the away team found the going tough by taking 4-31, however Andy Walker (39) and Henry Burton (33 not out) lifted their side’s total to 134/8 to give their bowlers something to defend.

Thirsk made light work of their chase however as Harry Collinson (41 not out), James Wilkinson (30 not out) and James Trueman (30) secured maximum points for Thirsk at the cost of just two wickets.

The only game to lose out entirely to the weather in Galtres Division Two was the fixture between Pannal and Osbaldwick.