Yorkshire Three: Wetherby winning streak up to 39 after Reds overcome prickly Thornensians

Wetherby's Andrew Trotman charges forward with Myles Oates in support (Photo: Guy Roberts)
Wetherby's Andrew Trotman charges forward with Myles Oates in support (Photo: Guy Roberts)

Wetherby survived the biggest challenge yet to their remarkable winning streak to further enhance their bid of winning back-to-back promotions.

The Reds fought back from the brink of a first defeat in almost two years to put a spiky Thornesians to the sword 16-10 on a wet day in South Yorkshire.

It was the second time in three weeks that Wetherby had to conquer a team lying second in Yorkshire Three.

But unlike their 36-11 win over Goole earlier this month, Thorne created a nervous afternoon in a tight, hard fought clash.

They became the first team in the league to stop Wetherby collecting a bonus point this season, but were unable to stop the Grange Parker’s incredible 39-game winning streak.

Wetherby have now pulled out a seven-point advantage at the top of the table, with Goole overtaking Thornesians in the runners-up berth.

Wetherby in action against Thornensians on Saturday (Photo: Guy Roberts)

Wetherby in action against Thornensians on Saturday (Photo: Guy Roberts)

Wetherby were under no illusions that the trip to South Yorkshire was to be a prickly affair that could define their season.

In typical Wetherby fashion they tried to play from the back, however, their first foray forward was halted for a dubious forward pass.

Thorne were then awarded a penalty at the scrum, which was kicked for a three-point lead.

More pressure from Thorne caught out the Wetherby defence as they continually won the battle of the gain line with their heavy runners.

But their forwards were let down by the back division who spilt the ball into the waiting arms of Myles Oates, and he scampered under the posts. Conor Sheridan converted.

The maul defence worked strongly for Wetherby afer Thorne thumped another penalty long, but a tacklewas adjudged to be too high by Tom Edwards and he was yellow carded.

Thorne missed the penalty but soon ran through the 14-man Wetherby defence to score.

Half-time approached and Wetherby were lucky to escape further punishment as Thorne fluffed their lines by throwing a try-scoring pass forward.

The first ten minutes of the second half saw Thorne throw everything they had at Wetherby and test their defences for the final time in the match.

But Wetherby looked more confident and assured in the second half despite their scrum going backwards for the first time this season.

The Reds absorbed the pressure and were given an opportunity to level the scores from a penalty, which Sheridan kicked.

The final 20 minutes showcased Wetherby’s superior fitness and ability to go up through the gears as they forced yet another penalty, with the same result.

With five minutes left on the clock, the referee had one more part to play in the game.

Liam Hogan let his passion get the better of him and the referee reached for his pocket for the second time in the game and gave Thorne another chance.

However, Wetherby again defended strongly and a great turnover from George Gilbert sealed another penalty to kill the clock, with Sheridan slotting over the winning score.