VIDEO: Harrogate Town beat Workington in York

January signing Dominic Knowles made it four goals in two matches as his brace helped Harrogate Town come from behind to beat Workington 3-1 in the Blue Square North at Bootham Crescent.

Town fell behind to a first-half Workington strike, but substitute Lee Elam equalised before man of the match Knowles scored twice in five minutes to secure the win which means Town jump to eighth in the table.

Town beat Workington 3-1 at York City's Bootham Crescent

Town beat Workington 3-1 at York City's Bootham Crescent

Troubles with their CNG Stadium pitch surface may continue, but Town are making the most of the opportunities they are getting to play league football.

The club thanked York City for allowing them to play at the 7,800-capacity stadium as work continues to fix the surface at Wetherby Road.

But the club desperately hope their next home match, against Worcester City on February 16, will be played at home - at the CNG.

A healthy crowd of 284 flocked to League Two York City’s Bootham Crescent ground, a far cry from the 99 hardy souls who made the 100-mile round trip to watch Town play Corby at Doncaster’s Keepmoat Stadium last Tuesday.

Knowles earned a starting place after scoring twice in the 6-1 demolition of Corby, but newest signing Michael Woods was on the bench.

On eight minutes, on-loan Adam Baker was free to run to the edge of the box, but his shot flew wide of the right post.

Town ‘keeper Craig McGillivray had to receive treatment after lunging to save from Joe McGee.

A minute later, a Workington break put McGee in a great position to score, but his effort was parried by McGillivray, and McGee’s team mate Philip McLuckie was anything but as he fumbled his effort wide.

However, Workington were on top, keen to make up ground on Town, who started the match one place and three points above them.

And they made their pressure tell in the 22nd minute, as Philip McLuckie evaded a defensive challenge to turn on the edge of the box and fire past McGillivray.

Soon after, Dwayne Samuels put McGee under pressure, the striker eventually smashing the ball into the stands as he was unable to get a shot away.

Play paused for three minutes as Rob Youhill received treatment, but he was able to continue until the end of the first period.

With cotton wool in mouth to stem bleeding, Youhill got involved in several meaty and fair challenges which would have made his manager Weaver, as well as former boss Billy Miller, who Youhill played for on loan at Harrogate Railway last year, proud.

Harrogate pressure in the three minutes of injury time which ended the first half saw Dave Merris sail in two corner kicks, but Town were unable to capitalise, and the half-time score was 1-0 to Workington.

Youhill made way for Luke Dean at half-time.

Within three minutes of the restart, Town had to be alert and clear a Workington effort off the line.

Town embarked on a sizzling period of possession, frustrating the Workington defence.

The tireless Chib Chilaka won a free-kick as he was taken down on the edge of the area.

Adam Bolder powerfully smashed the ball towards goal, but it flew wide and hit the boards right of the post.

Baker had also worked hard down the left wing, but was replaced by Elam on the hour mark as Town looked to up the pressure oin the Workington goal.

And the substitute made an immediate impact, in space to equalise in the 66th minute after Chilaka’s shot had been saved by the Workington ‘keeper.

Elam smashed his shot into the roof of the net in space from close range.

And, five minutes later, Town took the lead. New signing Knowles sensationally lifted the ball over the head of the Workington ‘keeper to put Town in front.

Another five minutes and Knowles had the ball in the net again, the striker coolly netting a long range effort.

Workington immediately went up the other end of the pitch, but a tame effort was easily saved by McGillivray.

With ten minutes left, Dean set Bolder up, and his shot went just wide.

A Merris corner was held by the Workington ‘keeper on the line.

Town kept the pressure on Workington until the final minute of the three added on to the end of the match, and can boast an excellent home record at Bootham Crescent this season.

Town travel to play Brackley on Saturday (3pm) before a trip to FC Halifax Town on Tuesday (7.45pm).

See this week’s Harrogate Advertiser for the latest from the CNG.

Harrogate Town: McGillivray, Samuels, Merris, Bolder, White, Bloomer, Youhill (Dean, 45), Bolland, Chilaka, Knowles, Baker (Elam, 60).

Subs not used: Radcliffe, Beesley, Woods.

Workinton: Mitchell, Cowperthwaite, Rowntree, May, Wordsworth, Manship, McLuckie, Greenhaugh (Boyd), Wright, Arnison, McGee (Andrews, 15).

Booked: McGee (33).

Subs not used: Andrews, Wright, Bannister.

Referee: M Walsh

Attendance: 284