Tadcaster bow out of FA Trophy

Tadcaster Albion lost out at Glossop North End
Tadcaster Albion lost out at Glossop North End

Tadcaster Albion exited the FA Trophy following a 2-0 defeat at Glossop North End.

The Hillmen nudged ahead in the first half after half an hour when Mike Norton kept his cool from seven yards before Max Leonard made sure of the win 14 minutes from time after capitalising on a miscued clearance.

Tadcaster made two changes to the side that drew with Bamber Bridge as Rob Youhill and Tom Corner earned recalls. New signing Josh Grant went straight into the squad and was joined on the bench by Adam Baker who was back after two weeks away.

Physical frontman Corner was almost back in the goals after just seven minutes. He fought off the challenge of Eddie Moran before firing inches wide from 23 yards out.

Moran then had the first effort on target of the afternoon after driving forward and striking well, but straight at Michael Ingham.

Youhill then almost marked his return with an assist but Josh Greening poked a whipped cross inches the wrong side of the post.

The Brewers created the better of the chances in the opening half hour but it was a very even cup tie in terms of possession and there was very little between the two sides.

The man in the middle Nik Storey had his first big decision to make just shy of the half-hour-mark as Jamie Rainford knocked the ball past Jason Mycoe and went to ground asking for a penalty.

The hosts were adamant that a spot-kick should have been awarded, however Mr. Storey thought differently.

Three minutes later, Rainford was about to head on target but Andy Milne stormed across with a brilliant clearing header.

Glossop then made their mini-spell of pressure count as they broke the deadlock in the 38th minute.

When a corner kick was cleared out to Moran, he skewed his shot, but fortunately for the Hillmen it rolled into the path of Mike Norton who stroked into the bottom corner from six yards out.

Taddy responded well and were almost back on level terms as the clock struck 45.

Youhill’s clipped cross was flicked on by Mycoe and impressively struck goalwards by Sellars, but a superb reaction save from Matthew Cooper denied the former Boro man.

Another good chance came just seconds later from the resulting corner as Sellars’ deep delivery was headed narrowly over the mark by Milne.

The second half started in frantic fashion with both sides looking to stamp their authority on the cup tie.

It was the home side who threatened to extend their lead as Max Leonard thundered a close range shot off the crossbar.

Midfielder Fatlum Ibrahimi was making just his third start of the season, and it was the Kosovan who almost put the Brewers on level terms, but his strike was deflected just off target by Mo Ali.

Miller’s men were still creating chances to draw level and almost did just that on the hour mark.

It would have been a somewhat fortunate goal as Sellars’ free-kick wickedly deflected into the path of Corner who reacted well but his effort guided wide.

This was probably Taddy’s best spell of the tie, but Glossop were defending well and held on to their lead as captain Sam Barnes launched himself in the way of a sweet Jono Greening volley from inside the area.

However with 14 minutes to go, Glossop doubled their lead to put one foot in the next round.

Steve Jeff failed to fully clear a long throw-in by Karl Jones and Max Leonard pounced and swept into the bottom left-hand corner.

The second goal for Glossop sparked Taddy into life and they themselves wanted a penalty with 11 minutes to go as Tom Corner looked to have been brought down by goalkeeper Cooper, but again nothing was given.

In the end, Glossop held on for victory and Taddy exited the competition at the first hurdle.