Tadcaster Albion 4-1 Worksop Town: Greening double fires Tad into title race ascendancy

Josh Greening scored twice in the second half
Josh Greening scored twice in the second half

Tadcaster Albion made a major statement in the Northern Counties East League title race as they swept aside league leaders Worksop Town 4-1 at Selby Town's FPH Stadium.

The Brewers weathered the Worksop storm and produced a clinical display of finishing to reduce the gap at the top and hand a third defeat on the visitors of the campaign.

With flood damage causing issues to the floodlights at the i2i Stadium, Albion had to move their crunch home tie to the neutral North Yorkshire venue. But a strong crowd of spectators from both clubs made the journey despite atrocious weather conditions.

Billy Miller maintained the bulk of the starting line-up that edged past Parkgate 3-1 in the League Cup with Jason Mycoe the only introduction to shield the back four alongside Liam Ormsby.

Worksop hammered eight goals past Garforth on Wednesday and made a bright start in Selby with Steven Wolley and James Cottingham finding space between Ormsby and Mycoe.

But Adam Baker rocked the visitors with the opener on ten minutes as he countered briskly down the right flank and slotted past Jon Kennedy, who have should done better as he advanced to the left edge of his area.

Despite taking the lead, the bulk of possession remained with Worksop and Gary Stevens was forced into a strong low save by target an Danny Booth, while Wolley blazed another strike well over.

The away side deserved their equaliser when it arrived close to the half hour mark. Having left three forwards up field to defend a corner, Worksop countered quickly and Tom Elliot was found at the back post to prod past Stevens.

Worksop continued to show the attacking flair which has seen them score 89 goals this season but the action quietened before the break as the weather conditions became extreme.

With driving rain hammering down on the pitch, the players were glad to race off for half time with the game on a knife edge.

Adam Baker grabbed the opener in an impressive performance

Adam Baker grabbed the opener in an impressive performance

The second half was always going to be a test of character and fitness on a heavy pitch, and it was Albion who struck the killer blows.

Baker, who was energetic throughout on the right hand side, latched onto Jordan Armstrong's forward pass and his cross was cushioned home on the volley by captain Jimmy Beadle.

Stevens kept his side in front as he made a crucial save with his legs to deny Cottingham's low shot. But Worksop's resolve was breached again on 70 minutes, with Baker again at the heart of the damage.

The winger played another daring cross from the right which Josh Greening controlled before sweeping it past Kennedy.

Worksop were continually frustrated by the stoic defensive partnership of Matt Heath and Gregg Anderson, and they were punished again on the counter late on.

Greening galloped forward to latch onto substitute Nick Black's pass and he kept his composure to slot a fourth past Kennedy.

(Highlights courtesy of Jay Taylor, Tadcaster Albion)