Skrill North: Harrogate Town 2-2 Colwyn Bay

Harrogate Town's Anton Brown
Harrogate Town's Anton Brown

Anton Brown’s injury-time leveller saved Harrogate Town as they earned a point against mid-table outfit Colwyn Bay at the CNG Stadium on Saturday.

After absorbing early Bay pressure,Town almost took a fourth minute lead when Adam Nowakowski headed Steve Mallory’s long free kick against the upright.

Unfortunately,Town soon suffered a setback when Ashley Worsfold sustained a bad cut to the head and had to be replaced by Joe Ironside.

There appeared to be little danger when the Seagulls were awarded a free kick thirty yards out, but Sean Williams’ effort deceived the unsighted Craig MacGillivray and trickled over the line.

Town,inspired by a powerful run from “Man of the Match”,Anton Brown,hit back strongly.

Chris Sanna desperately punched out a Conor Sellars header from a Dwayne Samuels cross, but Brown was inches too high with his follow up.

Chris Hall, then headed a Sellars corner over the bar,but the pressure eventually paid off.

Nowakowski had a shot deflected and Sellars delivered the ensuing corner to the far post for Hall to head home to send Town in level at half time.

After an initial break down the left by Hall which ended with Ironside slicing his centre across goal,Bay took control.

Centre back,Tom Smyth foraged forward to shoot against Town’s crossbar and Rob Hopley headed a cross from Anthony Stevens over the top.

Simon Weaver’s introduction of Adam Bolder and Michael Woods,put new sparkle into Town’s work and they began to play some excellent football. Mallory, Hall and Woods combined to force a full length save from Sanna,but it was Bay who scored against the run of play,when Hopley netted from close range.

Town replied immediately and Sanna could only parry an Ironside shot into the path of Hall who swept the ball in, only to be denied by an offside flag.

As the game entered four minutes of stoppage time,a deep centre from Dave Merris broke to Brown who sidefooted in from close range to equalise.

Incredibly,the game still had a twist in the tail,when Town thought that they had been awarded a penalty after Ironside had been barged over in the area, only for referee Paul Graham to give a free kick to Colwyn.