Same old story for beaten Brewers

Tadcaster Albion's Rob Youhill in action against Lancaster City. Picture: Matthew ApplebyTadcaster Albion's Rob Youhill in action against Lancaster City. Picture: Matthew Appleby
Tadcaster Albion's Rob Youhill in action against Lancaster City. Picture: Matthew Appleby
It was case of the same old story for Tadcaster Albion after they missed a number of good chances on their way to defeat, this time at promotion-chasing Lancaster City.

Ryan Winder netted the only goal of the game in the first half of Saturday’s Evo-Stik Division One North clash, and although the Brewers responded well and dominated the second period, they were unable to grab a share of the spoils.

Manager Billy Miller made two changes to the side defeated at Trafford, with Liam Shepherd and Josh Greening both brought back into the starting XI.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Lancaster went into the game looking to keep the pressure on league leaders Farsley Celtic, and they began strngly, taking the lead after 14 minutes.

After plenty of successful practice in the pre-match warm-up, Ryan Winder stepped up and superbly curled a free-kick past Chandler Hallwood and into the back of the net from 25 yards out.

Albion got out of the City storm having shipped just the one goal, and they could have been level shortly after the half-hour mark as they slowly worked their way back into the contest.

Dan Thirkell brilliantly reversed a through-ball in behind to Josh Greening but he could only fire into the side-netting.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

There was no doubting that the title-chasers were the team on top in the first period, and they really should have extended their lead less than a minute after Greening’s missed opportunity.

City broke away following a Tad corner and substitute Hannu Tam sprung the offside trap ,leaving virtually a whole half between just him and goalkeeper Hallwood.

The pacey Tam drove in on goal but the former Walsall stopper narrowed the angle, stood tall and denied the striker’s weak effort.

Set-piece specialist Conor Sellars then almost out did Winder’s free-kick, three minutes before the interval.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

From the right side of the penalty box, Sellars whipped his effort over the wall and unconventionally towards the far corner, but saw his sweet strike crash off the crossbar with the home keeper all but beaten.

Josh Greening may not be known for his heading ability, but even he will have been bitterly disappointed not to have rippled the back of the net four minutes into the second half.

Jordan Armstrong, who was outstanding all afternoon for the Brewers, put what should have been the equaliser on a plate for Greening, but he somehow headed over the mark from just four yards out.

The Brewers, kicking towards the excellent terraced stand at Giant Axe, were putting the home side under severe pressure with a number of dangerous crosses and corners delivered into the danger zone.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

It seemed like a goal was coming for Miller’s men, but when Carl Stewart gott half a yard to set his sights, City custodian Mike Hale was on-hand to push clear.

Chances then started to flow for both sides as the match ticked by and Hallwood had to make an impressive save to keep out Jacob Gregory.

Lancaster were camped deep in their own half as Taddy continued to probe for an equaliser, and with 12 minutes to go Josh Greening went close once again.

Stewart rose highest and glanced down perfectly into the path of his fellow forward, but Greening couldn’t generate enough contact to flick past Hale.

In the end, it was a similar story to last week’s 1-0 defeat at Trafford where a dominant second half showing left Albion with nothing to show for their efforts.