Harrogate Town in stalemate with Gainsborough Trinity

Shane Killock put in a man-of-the-match performance for Harrogate Town as Simon Weaver’s men played out a drab 0-0 affair with Gainsborough Trinity on Tuesday night.

Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 12:00 pm
Harrogate Town V Gainsborough Trinity. Lloyd Kerry. (1410079AM2)

Chances were few and far between at the CNG stadium as both sides struggled to develop any momentum throughout the game.

Gainsborough fashioned the best chance of the match 10 minutes from time as Kilock was forced into a sliding goal-line clearance to prevent former Town striker Paul Beesley a certain goal.

Killock’s heroics came at a cost as the centre-back injured himself colliding with the post and was stretchered off as the game drew to a close.

Town came into the match on the back of a disappointing 4-0 defeat away at high-flying Chorley but Weaver’s side started the brighter with Jake Speight firing over in the game’s first chance.

After a shaky start, the visitors grew into the game and fashioned their first chance after 15 minutes through some clever footwork by Beesley but Simon Russell’s effort was comfortably saved.

The two combined again for Gainsborough’s best chance of the half as Russell’s perfectly weighted through-ball found Beesley in the Harrogate box but the striker’s effort was turned round the post by Phil Barnes.

Steve Housham’s side continued their good work at the start of the second half but could only create half chances, including a speculative half-volley from Liam Davis that sailed harmlessly wide.

Leeds United loanee Louie Coyle and former Scunthorpe United midfielder Nicky Featherstone were both handed their debuts with Coyle, in particular, looking dangerous from right-back.

The 18-year-old combined intelligently with Dominic Rowe on the right wing and created an opening 20 minutes into the second half but Coyle’s curling effort ended up the wrong side of the post.

Town were restricted to long-ball approaches and chances from set-pieces but the best chance of the game fell to Trinity’s Beesley.

With the goal at his mercy, Beesley could only partially connect with Russell’s squared ball across the six-yard-box but his goal-bound effort was clawed away by the sprawling Killock.

In making the clearance the centre-half collided with the post and was stretchered off as the game came to a low-key conclusion