freak Selby goal downs ‘Boro

hsb  Liam Gray playing for Knaresborough Town.   (130907M5c)
hsb Liam Gray playing for Knaresborough Town. (130907M5c)

Knaresborough Town’s league woes extended to a fifth straight winless match after a freak goal denied them points at Yorkshire rivals Selby Town on Saturday.

Selby midfielder Tom Owen scored direct from a corner to edge midway through the first half to edge the “disappointing” encounter 1-0.

Town have not won in the league since beating Hallam 2-1 on August 31, form that club secretary Ian Pickles reckons is down to missing luck.

He said: “There were games in the first half of last season where we got battered for 30 or 40 minutes but we ended up winning.

“We haven’t been getting that bit of luck. That’s put the players heads down a bit.”

Town’s visit to Selby Town produced an uncertain and stuttering performance.

Dave Thomas was wide with an early free-kick before Owen’s corner from the left-wing swung straight into the far side of the net in the 28th minute.

Louis Blackwell should have added to the score before half-time.

‘Boro came out with a more determined attitude after the break, but Blaine Hobson was wide with his shot.

Owen fired wide and Nathan Kamara against a post as Selby pressed back.

Steve Bromley and Colin Heath had one shot saved and blasted a second over the bar from Wright’s pass.

Selby were reduced to ten men when Luke Hall tangled with Danny Wright but they did come close to a second when Danny Gray lobbed over the top.

Late headers from Will Lenehan and Ben Clayton failed to grab ‘Boro a point.

“It was a tight game,” said Pickles.

“It was always one of those where a couple of chances, had they gone in, would have changed the complexion.”

Captain Liam Gray missed Saturday’s clash through a locked knee and the midfielder requires an operation.

But the midfielder played in Town’s 5-0 Whitworth Cup first round win over Kirkby Malzeard at Manse Lane on Tuesday night.

Ed Marau, Heath, Hobson, Bromley and Byron Littlefair netted to secure a pleasing win as boss Brian Davey fielded a full strength squad.

However, Graham Whitehead pulled up injured, and is a doubt for Saturday’s clash at home to Clipstone.

‘Boro have been drawn to play neighbours Knaresborough Celtic competitively for the first time in the Whitworth Cup quarter-finals.

Town’s committee have issued an apology to players Craig and Carl Heard for their handling of last week’s story regarding the pair’s future at the club.

Pickles said both players remained on the club’s books.

A club statement read: “The chairman will be meeting with the Heard family to personally apologise on behalf of the Club.

“The chairman will be meeting with the Heard family to personally apologise on behalf of the Club.”

Fraser Lancaster scored as Town’s reserves made the West Yorkshire League Challenge Cup second round with a 1-0 win over Ilkley Town at Manse Lane on Saturday.