FA Vase: Tadcaster Albion march on to fifth round with narrow victory

Paul Marshall.
Paul Marshall.

Callum Ward’s decisive second half goal kept Tadcaster Albion’s dream of FA Vase glory alive as they beat Brocton 3-2 at home this afternoon (January 17).

First half goals from Denny Ingram and Carl Stewart gave Paul Marshall’s side the lead going into half time after falling behind early in the opening minutes.

Brocton captain Carl Morris levelled the scores at the beginning of the second half but Ward was eventually rewarded for his hard work with the winning goal with 20 minutes left.

Both teams were reduced to ten men with the scores level at 2-2 as Stewart reacted angrily to a rash challenge on Josh Greening early in the second half.

Marshall said there was a ‘buzz’ in the town before Albion’s FA Cup clash and the sense of atmosphere was certainly felt as 615 fans packed out the i2i Stadium.

However, Brocton clearly hadn’t read the script, starting the game positively before stunning the home faithful after just five minutes with a Sam Bell goal.

A long ball forward from Dan Lomas left Ingram on the backfoot with Bell overpowering the defender before calmly slotting past Tom Morgan.

Tadcaster grew in confidence as the half wore on with Brocton struggling to reclaim their early momentum but holding firm to prevent Josh Greening from a free kick.

Marshall’s men eventually got the equaliser they deserved after 20 minutes as Ingram atoned for his earlier mistake, prodding home after a melee in the Brocton penalty area.

Chances were few and far between as the game creeped to half time as Brocton’s number three was forced off with an injury and his replacement Lees looking threatening on the left wing.

The two teams looked to be heading into the half time break level but Stewart had other ideas, heading in Greening’s inviting cross to give Tadcaster the advantage.

Brocton started the second half as brightly as they began the first, forcing a goal-line clearance before another touch of class from Bell who eventually squaring the ball for Morris to head past Morgan from close range.

Tempers flared five minutes later when Greening felt the full force of a nasty tackle from the opposition, leading to pushing contest between both sets of players.

Tadcaster’s Stewart and Brocton’s Matthew Docherty were called over by the referee and were both shown red cards for their parts in the aftermath of the challenge.

The sending off spurned Marshall’s side into life, after struggling to come to find their rhythm after the break, and both Ingram and Milne saw their efforts inches away from finding the net.

However, the pressure finally told and Ward was rewarded for his tireless efforts since Stewart’s dismissal.

After showing his full back a clean pair of heels in the area he laid the ball back to Liam Ormsby. His effort was saved well by the goalkeeper but Ward showed great awareness to follow up on the rebound and provided an accomplished finish.

Greening, still feeling the effects of the challenge, was replaced soon after by David Brown who continuously capitalised on the tired legs of the Brocton defence.

The substitute terrorised his opponents and could, and perhaps should, have had a hat-trick but saw three great chances expertly saved by Barrett, much to the fans’ frustrations.

Morgan proved to be the Tadcaster hero in the final few minutes, claiming crosses and corners lumped into the box before denying Bell in the dying seconds with a tremendous one on one save.

Marshall’s men will now eagerly await the fifth round draw of the FA Vase and will be hoping for another home draw to play in front of the Albion faithful.