Ebbsfleet United 0 Harrogate Town 2: We're in a 'really good' position in title race - Jack Emmett

Jack Emmett believes that Harrogate Town have got themselves into “a really good position to win” the National League after their sixth consecutive victory lifted them up to second in the table.

Sunday, 19th January 2020, 12:59 pm
Updated Sunday, 19th January 2020, 2:13 pm
Jack Emmett gets on the ball during Harrogate Town's win at Ebbsfleet United. Picture: Matt Kirkham
Jack Emmett gets on the ball during Harrogate Town's win at Ebbsfleet United. Picture: Matt Kirkham

Simon Weaver’s in-form team beat struggling Ebbsfleet United 2-0 away from home thanks to Connor Hall’s stunning volley and a predatory Jack Muldoon finish.

And that win was enough to see them climb one place and above Yeovil Town, hot on the heels of leaders Barrow.

“I think we are looking good,” Emmett said.

“Confidence is high, morale is good in the camp.

“We’ve got ourselves in a really good position to win it.

“You look at the league table and with 15 games to go, we’ve got some massive fixtures coming up against the top teams, but if we keep playing the way we are playing then we’ve got a great chance.

“A lot of the games we have played recently have been winnable, but you’ve got to tick them off. It was important to come away with three points [at Ebbsfleet] and we are happy with the performance.”

Having seen two first-half efforts ruled out with the game still goalless, it was Town’s top-scorer Muldoon who wrapped up the three points with a near post finish from Jon Stead’s 63rd-minute cross.

But it will be centre-back Hall’s strike that lives longest in the memory, the big defender rifling a stunning 18-yard volley into the top corner of the Ebbsfleet net shortly before half-time.

“For a centre-half, it’s an unbelievable strike,” Emmett added.

“We had two disallowed. The first one was a bit suspect because the linesman’s guessing, but these days if you challenge the goalkeeper like Steady did on the second one, you can’t really complain.

“The pitch was hard to play on, but what a goal from Connor.”

Saturday’s contest was delayed by more than a quarter of an hour due to an injury picked up prior to kick-off by referee Lee Collins.

That meant that fourth official Kirsty Dowle had to take charge of proceedings, though Emmett played down the significance of the disruption to Town’s preparations.

“I’ve never seen a referee roll his ankle walking out to the pitch before,” he added.

“He was on the floor in the tunnel just sat down because he couldn’t get up.

“It [the delay] kills your warm-up a bit because you time it to be ready for the start of the game, so it wasn’t ideal, but it was the same for both sides.”