Confident Boro on cloud nine

Ben Clayton has returned to Knaresborough Town
Ben Clayton has returned to Knaresborough Town

The confidence is back amongst the Knaresborough Town squad and Brian Davey’s men have marched into free-scoring mode.

Town hammered nine past Appleby Frodingham at Manse Lane on Saturday as new recruit Josh Garbutt bagged a debut hat-tick in a club NCEL record 9-1 thumping.

Goals from Danny Wright (2), Matty Duerden, Blain Hobson, Ben Clayton and Dan Clayton completed the rout against nine-man Frodingham.

Davey’s troops continued their goal getting when they battered Rossington Main 6-0 in the League Cup on Tuesday night.

Fraser Lancaster bagged four goals in-between strikes from Graham Whitehead and Colin Heath.

Club spokesman Ian Pickles said: “Whilst the heads were down, the good results have turned everything around.

“We have returned to 4-4-2 and we seem to be better balanced.

“We are a lot more confident now. Let’s hope it carries on.”

Davey signed Garbutt on dual registration terms with Harrogate Town prior to Saturday’s Appleby visit and the 20-year-old excelled on debut.

Gainsborough Trinity winger Dan Clayton also played for Town alongside his brother Ben Clayton who has rejoined Manse Lane from Glasshoughton Welfare.

However, Town were pegged back early on by the visitors as Appleby’s Ryan Short netted inside 80 seconds of the match.

It took Boro just six minutes to get on level terms, when Duerden nodded his first of the season from Heath’s cross.

Garbutt then marked his debut with a calmly placed goal after a swift counter-attack.

Heath and Dan Clayton both missed good chances before Garbutt bagged his second nearing half-time.

Blaine Hobson stretched the lead to three after the break as he squeezed his shot inside the post. And Appleby were reduced to ten when Matthew Robinson was sent off.

The visitors were still in disarray when Garbutt headed home his hat-trick goal after good work from Nick Radcliffe.

Appleby went down to nine men with 25 minutes remaining when goalscorer Short received a second yellow.

Wright stole in to make it six, before adding the seventh with his head six minutes later.

The tireless Dan Clayton eventually got in on the act in the 83rd minute before brother Ben capped the memorable win in injury time.

Pickles said: “We looked as though we were going to score with every attack.

“Whilst you struggled to believe the scoreline, it could have been a lot more. We had good several good chances that we spurned.”

On Garbutt’s introduction he added: “He looks the part.

“He was quick and took his goals really well.”

The emphatic victory took Boro into the top half of the Division One table for the first time this season and stretched their winning run in the league to four matches.

A trip to 15th-placed Grimsby Borough awaits on Saturday. Knaresborough entertain Evo-Stik Division One North side Ossett Albion at Manse Lane in the West Riding County FA County Cup second round on Wednesday (Kick-off 7.45pm).

Meanwhile Knaresborough reserves won 2-1 at Wyke Wanderers on Saturday.

Edmore Murau grabbed the only goal of the first half after nine minutes.

Lancaster then doubled the score in the 65th minute but Wyke set up a nervy finish, pulling one back before the end from a cross that travelled straight into the net.