Boro's march towards Division One title continues at Ollerton

Knaresborough Town took another huge step towards the NCEL Division One title when they won 2-0 on the road at Ollerton Town.

Monday, 12th February 2018, 6:42 am
Updated Monday, 12th February 2018, 6:50 am
Steve Bromley celebrates after giving Knaresborough Town the lead at Ollerton. Picture: Craig Dinsdale

Paul Stansfield’s side extended their lead at the top of the table to eight points, taking advantage of the inactivity of their nearest rivals Eccleshill United and Grimsby Borough.

An early Will Lenehan header flew over from Rob Youhill’s corner, before both Dan Thirkell and Ben Cohen saw efforts cleared from the Ollerton line.

At the other end, the dangerous Lewis Bingham managed to get behind the Boro defence, only to lob over the crossbar, and the same player also forced gloveman Jack Rushworth into action with a low shot.

Sign up to our daily Harrogate Advertiser Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Knaresborough went ahead in the 28th minute when a fine ball from Conor Donoghue found Youhill on the right flank.

Youhill crossed low to Brad Walker who saw a strike blocked, but the ball fell loose and Steve Bromley stooped low to head home.

Walker had another shot saved by Joey McCormack in the home goal later in the half, and the single goal remained the difference between the teams at the break.

A second of the afternoon did however arrive in the 51st minute when Youhill ran forward into the Ollerton half, tried to pass to Bromley, but took the ball back from a deflection before firing low under McCormack.

Dan Clayton was soon into the action after coming on as substitute, lobbing narrowly wide of goal before Lenehan headed wide following a corner.

Ollerton were then allowed a period of pressure, but were denied a way back into the game when Rushworth made a superb save to keep out Sean Dickinson’s close-range header.

Colin Heath was then thwarted by the left foot of McCormack as he shot low toward goal, but again Ollerton countered and Tristan Burrell came close to making the final minutes more nervous as his shot went narrowly wide of the post.

A late Clayton shot again flew wide, but Stansfield’s troops had already done enough.