Theakston Nidderdale League: Birstwith win battle of top two

Craig Robinson hit a half-century for Birstwith during Saturday's victory over Burton Leonard. Picture: Caught Light Photography
Craig Robinson hit a half-century for Birstwith during Saturday's victory over Burton Leonard. Picture: Caught Light Photography

Birstwith emerged triumphant from the battle of Theakston Nidderdale League Division One’s top two.

On a wet day where the bad weather ensured that reduced overs were played in games across the fixture list, the men from The Moss overcame fellow high-flyers Burton Leonard by 33 runs.

Birstwith racked up 207 all out in 28 overs, thanks largely to 60 from Dan Riley and Craig Robinson’s 53, Max Crompton helping himself to four wickets.

Burton opener James Townsend struck 59 in reply, but 5-34 from Nick Wain ensured that the visitors were sent on their way for 174.

Third-placed Darley bounced back from last weekend’s defeat to Ouseburn when they saw off the challenge of winless Alne.

Richard Henley managed 25 for the strugglers, however 5-25 from Joe Furniss saw them were dismissed for 101.

Gary Muff then hit 53 from just 56 balls to carry Darley to 105/2 and a comfortable success.

An innings of 80 from Bailey McCourt proved instrumental as Masham crushed Helperby.

McCourt’s runs were the cornerstone of his team’s total of 166, Alistair Darnell and Luis Rees-Hughes both effecting a trio of dismissals.

Ben Fielding and Craig Broadley then shared eight wickets equally to destroy Helperby, skittling them for a meagre score of 59.

Ouseburn moved up to fourth position in the league standings courtesy of a 65-run win over Goldsborough.

Tom Parker (48) looked in good touch for Phil Newton’s troops, the hosts posting 170/5 in 36.1 overs.

A number of Goldsborough batsmen made it into double figures, but nobody managed more than Adam Voakes (20), and Jamie Bryant’s 4-39 and 3-21 from Russell Robshaw ensured that the visitors fell well short at 105 all out.

Knaresborough Forest’s troubles continue, a nine-wicket reverse at West Tanfield condemning them to a fifth straight loss.

Paul Kennedy (38) was the only man to impress for Forest with willow in hand as they struggled to 108, Juvan Gericke grabbing 3-15 and Angus Shaw 3-22.

An unbeaten 41 from opening bat Stuart Clark then saw Tanfield to their victory target in 34 overs.

Heavy rain meant only four overs were bowled in the fixture between Spofforth (25/0) and Hampsthwaite.

Studley Royal returned to winning ways when they beat Raskelf by 91 runs, going top of the Division Two table in the process.

Michael Litterbach led the way with 81 and Jon Coates hit 31 as the home team compiled 204/8, despite a fine return of 4-10 from Jake Petty.

Opener Barry Milburn’s 28 was the best that Raskelf could muster in reply as they struggled to 113/9, Jake Bloodgood continuing his impressive form with the ball by taking 3-25.

Dacre Banks’ 100 per cent record is no more after they fell to a three-wicket defeat at Bishop Thornton.

Matt Varley’s 4-29 helped restrict the former league leaders to 91/9 in their 33 overs before Jim Dixon’s unbeaten knock of 39 guided the hosts to 93/7.

Waqas Rasheed bowled a brilliant spell of 4-22 for Banks, but his efforts proved to be in vain.

Burnt Yates recorded a second success of the campaign courtesy of victory on the road at Blubberhouses.

Aamir Rehman (36) and Bill Davis (35) both contributed useful scores in the home side’s 155/9 in 31 overs, Dom Taylor taking four scalps.

Jason Chyer’s excellent 93 not out and 49 from Steven Light then saw Chris Triggs’ men over the line at 156/3.

Newby Hall suffered a fourth defeat in five outings when they lost to Ripley by eight wickets.

Nick Kent finished unbeaten on 38 as the division’s bottom team made 115/6 in 27 overs, Matt Roberts claiming 3-47 for Ripley.

The hosts’ opening pair of Ian Robinson (61) and Michael Sacchetta (41 not out) then laid the foundations for an easy triumph as they reached 116 for the loss of just two wickets.

Wath & Melmerby were 27/2 at Markington before their game fell foul of the weather, while Scotton versus Pateley Bridge was abandoned without a ball being bowled.