Woman suffers 40% burns pouring petrol

Firefighters were called out to extinguish the fire. (S)
Firefighters were called out to extinguish the fire. (S)
Share this article

A WOMAN has suffered serious burns to 40 of her body after petrol she was storing set alight.

The woman, aged in her 40s and from the Acomb area of York, had been in her kitchen decanting petrol from one container to another when it set fire.

Peter Hudson, spokesman for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said she suffered burns to 40 per cent of her body and was rushed to Pinderfields Hospital by paramedics.

Two firemen put out the fire and removed the remaining petrol.

“Members of the public should take extreme care when handling and storing petrol,” said Mr Hudson.

“Never bring petrol inside your home. If you do smell petrol fumes in a garage or out building ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off.

“The slightest spark could cause an explosion.”