Firefighters rescue four trapped in burning Harrogate flat

Four people used a ladder to make a dramatic escape from a burning Harrogate flat this morning (Wednesday).

Wednesday, 1st October 2014, 11:34 am
Fire crews rescued four people from the flat

Two men and two women were guided to safety from the third storey of a Dragon View building in the early hours.

Crews were called to the blaze at the converted Victorian house near Skipton Road before 1am.

The house contains two flats, and North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service believe the fire started in a cupboard housing a boiler in the ground floor flat.

Sign up to our daily Harrogate Advertiser Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A service spokesperson said: “The premises which comprised two flats was heavily smoke logged after a fire started in the ground floor flat. It is believed that the fire commenced in a cupboard housing a boiler.

“A smoke alarm alerted the occupants who then called 999 and were given fire survival advice from the fire control operator as it was soon established that the four residents, all aged late 20s, could not evacuate the premises.

“On their attendance, within four minutes, firecrews commenced the rescue of the four adults, by placing a triple extension ladder against the exterior of the property, and guiding all four, unharmed, to safety.

“Two hosereels were used to extinguish the fire, with smoke clearance and thermal image camera operations then carried out.

“The Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service attended to provide after incident support to the affected residents.”

Crews attended from Harrogate, Knaresborough and Ripon.