Blaze firefighters battled overnight near Harrogate believed to be deliberate
A blaze which firefighters fought for almost 12 hours near Harrogate is believed to have been caused deliberately.
The fire which broke out in a clearing at Jack Hill on Top Lane in Norwood, after 11pm on Wednesday, June 28 saw firefighters from Harrogate, Summerbridge, Knaresborough and Cookbridge called out. They were able to prevent it spreading to nearby woodland before extinguishing it.
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has told the Advertiser today that an investigation is being carried out by North Yorkshire Police.
A spokesperson for NYP said: "Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact North Yorkshire Police on 101, quoting reference 12180115716. Reassurance patrols have taken place in the area."
It is not currently known how the fire was started but NYFRS has repeated its warnings of the danger posed by these incidents. Since May there have been a number of fires which were deliberately started in the district, including at an unoccupied house on Grove Court and the old McColls building in Starbeck.
Group Manager Phil Whild from North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue said: “Arson often begins with lighting small fires but this can quickly escalate into more serious fires which can severely impact upon people and businesses within our community.
“Not only do our firefighters have to face unnecessary risk whilst attending deliberate fires, it is possible that members of the public may be harmed as a consequence of a deliberate fire. The fire engines and firefighters which are needed to attend these incidents are then not available to attend other emergencies.”
He added: "We would like to remind people to take care if they are visiting the countryside during this hot spell, as it’s easy for grass, moor or woodland fires to be started accidentally. Please take care to dispose of items carefully. Don't leave glass bottles lying on the ground as sunlight shining through them can cause fires, only light fires/BBQs in safe, designated areas and don't throw cigarettes out of car windows or on to the ground."