This is why fire engines have been outside a prominent Harrogate town centre restaurant

The scene outside Sukhothai restaurant last night. Picture: Lauren Louise Matthews.
The scene outside Sukhothai restaurant last night. Picture: Lauren Louise Matthews.

Harrogate residents took to social media last night to speculate as to why fire engines were parked outside a prominent restaurant in the town centre.

Two men taken to hospital after Harrogate knifing attack

Some onlookers thought that there may been a fire in the kitchen of Sukhothai restaurant on Cheltenham Parade, but North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service has set the record straight about what happened yesterday, June 30.

Incident at a Ripon shop - Man charged with 'threatening and abusive' behaviour

A spokesperson said: "It was a fire to cardboard behind the restaurant, believed to have been caused by a dropped cigarette. It was a rubbish fire near property, that caused smoke to enter the property.

Ripon Wetherspoons has been affected by the city's Hepatitis A outbreak

"It was out on the arrival of fire crews, who took no action."

Firefighters were called out to the scene at 8.57pm.