Starbeck footpath plans remain in limbo months after high street fire

A busy footpath on Starbeck's High Street will remain cordoned off until a property-owner secures the fire-damaged building causing its closure.

Friday, 14th December 2018, 5:19 pm
Updated Friday, 14th December 2018, 5:27 pm
Coun Philip Broadbank on the closed path in Starbeck.

Harrogate district to be gripped by freezing rain and snow blizzards as icy blast hits this weekendHarrogate Borough Council provided an update this week on the High Street site, next to a former McColl’s, revealing that North Yorkshire County Council is pursuing the owners to make the building secure.

The council said that after assessing the building they considered the facade of the structure is not at risk of collapse.

While the council says they have not witnessed slates falling into the public highway they said that this has occurred at times of high wind and thus supported the decision of North Yorkshire County Council’s highways team to erect safety barriers around the site to protect pedestrians.

HBC said until the situation on site improves NYCC will retain the footpath and crossing closures.

Police launch appeal to find Harrogate man wanted in connection with vehicle theftThey have installed a temporary pedestrian crossing and are pursuing the owners of the site to make it safe via powers given to them under the Highways Act.

The section of High Street footpath and the nearby pelican crossing were first closed off in July after a fire partially destroyed a building at the site.

The delay in reopening caused HBC Councillor Philip Broadbank to speak out last month in an attempt to hasten the reopening the footpath.

Lachlan Leeming , Local Democracy Reporting Service