A Memorial Service is to be held at Holy Trinity, Dacre Banks, on Sunday 19 March at 3pm for the late 2nd Lieutenant Charles Maxwell (Max) Pullan, 2nd West Riding Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery.
Max lived in Summerbridge and was killed in action at St Leger in France on 22 March 1917, aged 20.
He was the son of John Green Pullan and Laura Hannah Pullan, of The Laurels, Summerbridge, and is buried with honour in Mory Abbey Military Cemetery, Mory, France.
Before the service at Dacre Banks a wreath will be laid for Max by the British Legion at the War Memorial in Summerbridge at 2.30pm.
Max’s father John (Jack) Green Pullan donated land in Dacre Banks for a recreation/sports ground.
This was for the joint use of the residents of Hartwith-cum-Winsley and Dacre parishes.
It was to include facilities for tennis, bowls, hockey, football, cricket and a children’s play area.
Mr Pullan also left a substantial amount of money towards the cost of the building of the original pavilion in memory of his late wife Laura.
This was also topped up with a £50 donation from Mrs Hirsch in memory of her mother.
Local residents also raised a further £260 to set up a capital maintenance fund.
The original pavilion and playing fields were officially opened on Saturday 26 June 1937 by Sir William Ingilby, when he handed over the deeds and capital fund to Mrs Hirsch. So this service is also to celebrate the great legacy of the sporting facility, which has been enjoyed by young and old for 100 years.
In 2013 a new pavilion, to replace the old one, was opened by Sir William’s grandson Sir Thomas Ingilby. Today the Max Pullan Recreation Ground provides a playing field open to all, together with facilities for bowls, cricket, tennis and angling and a children’s playground.
It is owned and managed by a charity, the Dacre and Hartwith Playing Field Association, which is run entirely by volunteers.