Ripon MP confirms Claro and Deverell Barracks set to close
Claro and Deverell Barracks are set to be sold following the government's decision to dispose of both sites last year.
It was announced last year that, as part of the Army Basing Programme, the Claro Barracks was to be closed.
Julian Smith, Member of Parliament for Skipton and Ripon, was today, January 18, briefed of the news but neither site will be disposed of before 2017.
The news is part of an announcement concerning 12 sites which are expected to contribute £500m to land receipts which will be reinvested in the Defence Estate, and will enable the provision of more than 15,000 homes in support of the Government’s housing target.
The Ripon and Skipton MP expressed his disappointment at the news but said he hoped that the city can move forward and maximise the sites for the good of Ripon.
Mr Smith said: "The support that Ripon has given to those regiments stationed there over the years has been fantastic and I hope strong links will be maintained between the City and our armed forces as so many service men and women and their families will continue to live here.
"I will do everything I can to ensure these sites maximise their potential to help and benefit Ripon."