Controversial plans for Harrogate housing development to go back before councillors after redesign

Controversial plans for another major housing development in Harrogate's worst area for new builds will be put before councillors for the fifth time next week.

Tuesday, 28th July 2020, 7:00 am

The proposals for 155 homes on Kingsley Road have been recommended for approval at a meeting on 4 August after months of delays caused by legal issues, deferrals and the coronavirus lockdown.

It was more than a year ago when applicants Richborough Estates first put forward their plans which have now been slightly scaled back to 149 properties after concerns over the density of homes were raised by councillors and residents.

Locals living in the Kingsley area - which is already facing the construction of 700 homes - also flagged up worries over its already busy roads.

Some of the previous house building going on in the Kingsley part of Harrogate.

But a council report now says the development will not have an "unacceptable impact" on road safety, adding the spaces between groups of homes has been "increased appropriately".

Coun Pat Marsh, leader of the Liberal Democrats on the council, previously said the roads would be "horrendous" if the application was approved.

She said: “It doesn’t serve any purpose for the existing community and it just brings more pain and aggravation. It adds nothing for the area other than misery for the local residents".

During a meeting lost month, councillors had been preparing a case to reject the plans until they were reminded the site has been included in the council's Local Plan which was adopted earlier this year.

A legal officer told councillors a move to scrap the plans altogether would need strong grounds if it were to stand up at appeal.

The revised plans will be discussed at a virtual meeting on 4 August at 2pm.

By Jacob Webster, Local Democracy Reporter