These are seven foods you should avoid giving to your pooch this Christmas, according to pet food experts at Canagan. Photos are for illustrative purposes only.
Although sage and onion stuffing may be a roast dinner staple, onions, shallots, garlic, leeks and scallions all belong to the allium family, and these plants contain a substance which can harm your dogs red blood cells.
Cooked bones can become brittle and can easily splinter, with larger bones presenting a choking hazard and smaller pieces having the potential to irritate the gut or worst.
Sign up to our daily Harrogate Advertiser Today newsletter
The i newsletter cut through the noise
Chocolate is comes a-plenty at Christmas, but it is highly toxic for dogs. The darker the chocolate, the worse it is. The first signs of chocolate poisoning are vomiting and diarrhoea.
The raisins, currants and sultanas in Christmas treats like mince pies, Christmas cake and Christmas pudding are poisonous to dogs. Consuming these could lead to sickness, diarrhea and kidney failure.
The ethanol in alcohol can hit an animals bloodstream faster than humans. If consumed, dogs may seem drowsy and unsteady on their feet, and in more severe cases theres a risk of seizures and respiratory failure.
High fat content in nuts can cause vomiting and diarrhoea in dogs. You should not feed your pooch macadamia nuts or black walnuts. Macadamias can cause weakness, lethargy, vomiting, tremors and an increased body temperature.
A blue cheese like roquefort contains fungus harboring a substance called roquefortine C. In extreme cases, dogs can develop muscle tremors and seizures which can last up to two days.