Bramham horse trials cancelled
Organisers of one of the world’s most prestigious equestrian occasions have announced that this year’s event has been cancelled.
The team behind the Equi-Trek Bramham International Horse Trials, planned for June 10-13, said that despite the government’s roadmap timetable out of Covid-19 lockdown, the proposed conditions are ‘impossible’ to comply with on the Bramham site.
Event Director Nick Pritchard said; “We’ve explored every avenue possible to keep Bramham 2021 in the calendar.
“However, the health, safety and welfare of all who are involved in the event, or come to watch it, is our number one priority and we just can’t guarantee that within the government’s rules.”
“Due to the nature and scale of the event, it is impossible to enforce social distancing reasonably.
“The extent of the site makes it unfeasible to completely control public access.
“Sadly, a park isn’t the same as a stadium and while there’s plenty of space, we can’t guarantee social distancing in busy areas.
“We’re a 500-acre park with several footpaths crossing the estate and with spectator numbers limited to 4,000, we can’t be confident on keeping to this.
“The team and I are deeply disappointed to admit defeat, despite our best efforts.”
He added: “Having missed last year and this being an Olympic year, when Bramham would have been important to many nations for team selection, we wanted to put on a memorable competition.
“Sadly we can’t guarantee a COVID-secure show ground and feel it would be irresponsible to run.”
He said that the team at Bramham would like to thank loyal sponsors and volunteers, all owners, riders and grooms, tradestands, contractors and spectators for their continued support.
“We look forward to welcoming people back to Bramham in 2022,” added Mr Pritchard.