Letter: End lockdown urgently and return to ‘herd immunity’ plan
Not enough from Boris, unfortunately. Lockdown needs to be ended as a matter of urgency.
The PM originally was in favour of a policy of ‘herd immunity’ until the now conveniently discredited Professor Neil Ferguson of Imperial College produced a report stating that up to 500,000 would die of the virus which, soon after the resulting lockdown had been imposed, was almost immediately revised to 20,000 (they also previously seriously miscalculated the outcome of the ’swine flu’ epidemic in 2009, amongst others).
The Swedes apparently adopted the ‘herd immunity’ policy. They did not devastate social life as we have, they did not destroy businesses and jobs as we have and they have not brought their economy to its knees as we will surely do if we continue as we have done to date.
The PM must admit an error of judgement and revert to his original ‘herd immunity’ policy as a matter of urgency before it is too late. Let the human immune system do its job and let’s get back to work before too many businesses collapse.
After all, the Government’s own experts have said that 80 per cent of those infected will have either no or very mild symptoms whilst in the majority of the remaining 20 per cent they will be moderate .
And as for the Bill Gates suggestion to ‘vaccinate the world’ with a dangerously expedited and, no doubt, extremely profitable miracle vaccine, well that’s another story.