Life on the farm

editorial image

Well its got to that time of year when we try to have a catch up from all the jobs that we haven’t been able to do whilst lambing - and walling is one of those jobs.

My grandad puts most of the gaps up in the walls, and he is 80 this year and still doing it. However walling can either be a quick job or it could turn out to be a two day job, which is what happened with one gap, which was small but turned out to be about eight yards long and about three meters high compared to a normal wall about 1.5 meters high.

Both my grandad and myself went to put the small gap up, as it was in a bit of a bad place and we thought if we left it a lump more would fall.

We started putting the gap up we were getting on well and thought that we would have it up before dinner as we seemed to be getting on well, but then we heard a few stones dropping down in the wall next to us then all of a sudden there was a big rumble and about eight yards of wall fell down.

Neither of us could quite believe what had just happened we thought that a little bit more would fall down but not as much as that. It did make me feel like why did we even start walling it up.

We thought that we would be finished for dinner, we couldn’t have been more wrong, it took us all of the next day to finish the gap that we had started the day before.

Thankfully my uncle did come and help us for a bit so it did go up a bit faster than we thought. Walling is a never ending job, there can always be gaps falling, but this was just on a different scale but we all felt very pleased when we had finished it.

My grandad insisted that I write about it and take a picture. I took the picture when it was nearly up so it doesn’t look as bad as it was!

Also, another job that I really enjoy doing is taking the sheep back to the moor. We have to walk them back to high west from the farm because they have always done it so they know their way back to the moor, we have been doing this for four generations now.

It is easier than taking them in the trailer because there is over 100 ewes and lambs so we would have to do a few journeys to the moor compared to just the one walking them back.

It normally takes about two and a half to three hours the first time they walk back to the moor. It is important that we do it as it is teaching the lambs to walk there and back, so the gimmers will know where to go when they go back to the moor next year.

My dad and I took them back with our dogs, I took my dogs Fly and Tessa and My dad took his dogs Susie and Bob. Tessa is a young dog and it was her first time taking the sheep back to the moor, she did well and followed the sheep all the way back.

My dad walked in front and cleared the way of any other sheep that did not want to get mixed up with our sheep and I walked behind, the sheep know where they are going so it made life easier, but there can sometimes be the odd one that tries to get away.

Once we got them to the moor we met up with my Grandad and then before we left the sheep we had to mother them all up.

This can be the job that takes the most time of all because sometime there can be a daft shearling that does not seem to mother up to anything when walking the ewes with the lambs off and looks like she could be geld but then mothers up right at the end. We managed to get them all mothered up and the next day when my grandad went up the sheep were all mothered up and where they are supposed to be.