People in Harrogate and across the UK will hold a minute’s silence in remembrance of the British holidaymakers that died in Tunisia
There will be a nationwide minute’s silence today at noon following the terrorist attack in Tunisia on Friday last week.
Harrogate woman, Ellie Makin was one of the survivors who managed to flee the beach in time to escape being shot.
Miss Makin said “I will definitely be holding the minute’s silence, more than likely at home.”
Prime Minister, David Cameron announced in the House of Commons that the at of remembrance would take place one week on from the beach massacre that killed 29 Britons.
Mr Cameron, who chaired a meeting of the Government’s Cobra emergencies committee at 10 Downing Street earlier, promised a “full spectrum response” to extremist terror.
He said the holidaymakers “suddenly became the victims of the most brutal terrorist attack against the British people for many years”.
It was also announced that within the next few days there will be a major counter-terrorism training exercise in London.
This comes as suspected associates of the gunman have been arrested.
Tunisia’s interior minister Najem Gharsalli said a “significant number” of individuals were being detained.
The Prime Minister added that new rules will come into force this week giving public bodies a statutory duty to counter extremism.
For travel advice from the Foreign Office see www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice