The Harrogate Fire and Rescue team have been kept busy with a spate of fridge freezer fires in the last 48 hours, including one at Harrogate Hospital.
Fire teams from Harrogate, Knaresborough and Boroughbridge were called to Harrogate District Hopsital at around 3.20am this morning (Friday, July 24)
One ward was completely smoke logged after a fridge freezer set alight but the fire was out by the time the teams arrived.
Robert Harrison, Chief Operating Officer, Harrogate District Foundation Trust said: “The fire was put out by a member of staff using a Co2 Fire extinguisher prior to North Yorkshire Fire Service arriving. We are grateful to the member of staff for their quick reactions and can confirm that patients were not at risk.”
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault with the fridge freezer and was removed by firefighters before they ventilated the area.
Fortunately nobody was injured and evactuation was not necessary during the incident.
Only 35 hours earlier two engines from Harrogate and one from Knaresborough were called out again to put out another fridge freezer fire at a flat in a three storey building.
On July 22 at around 5pm the fire service was called to the property on Bewerley Road in Harrogate, where a fridge freezer kept inside a walk-in wardrobe type room had also caught fire.
The flat suffered fire, heat and smoke damage after another electrical issue caused the appliance to set alight.