Mother's '˜vaping' warning after son smoked e-cigarette '˜spiked' with legal highs

A mother whose son was rushed to hospital after smoking an e-cigarette, potentially '˜spiked' with legal highs, has warned others about the dangers of '˜vaping'.

Thursday, 5th May 2016, 1:49 pm
Updated Thursday, 5th May 2016, 3:50 pm

The 14-year-old was with a group of friends at Knaresborough’s Stockwell Community Centre when he inhaled the substance.  

He was later rushed to hospital, alongside another 14-year-old boy, with ‘dangerously low’ blood pressure after being found lying on the floor ‘barely conscious’.

The teenager was released a few hours later but his mother said she was warned the e-cigarette may have been spiked with ‘some forms of legal highs’. 

Sign up to our daily Harrogate Advertiser Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She said a mix of synthetic cocaine, ketamine and spice could have been used and is now warning other parents to discuss the danger of ‘vaping’ with their children.

She said: “My main concern is that some of these teenagers have no idea what they were ‘vaping’ and the potential dangers involved.

“Some parents allow their children to have nicotine free liquid in these e cigarettes because they believe they are harmless.

“But we are awaiting results on what was in the liquid inhaled, and hope that it won’t have any long term effects, albeit, a very harsh lesson has been learnt.” 

The headteacher of their school has now written to parents warning them of the potential dangers of “smoking or experimenting with unpredictable substances.”

In the letter Carl Sugden, headteacher of King James’s School, said:“The inhalant they had appears to have been spiked with an as yet unknown substance.”

A 12-year-old girl and a boy, 13, both from Harrogate, and a 14-year-old boy from Knaresborough were arrested and bailed pending further enquiries.

A police spokesperson said: “Even if you know the person offering you the substance, if you don’t know what it is - don’t inhale it or smoke it.”