ST MICHAEL and All Angels Church in Wilsill celebrates its centenary today.
We invite you to join our musical evening at 7.30pm. Tomorrow, we are hosting a Parish lunch and on Sunday, The Bishop of Ripon, Bishop John Packer celebrates Holy Communion at 9 o’clock and after the service he will cut the birthday cake.
In the early 1900s it was the Bishop of Ripon, The Right Rev William Boyd Carpenter and the Vicar of the parish, Rev Sidney Rogerson and the local people who suggested a new church be built in Wilsill.
The Harrogate Herald reported that ‘the site for the church had been well chose on the hillside overlooking the village of Wilsill and the valley of the Nidd and is a gift of Messrs J Metcalf and Son of Pateley Bridge.’
Local materials were used, some stone coming from the Raikes Quarry, higher up the hill and other from Scotgate Ash.
The general contractors were Messrs Cowling Brothers of Glasshouses and they sub- contracted work out to other local craftsmen.
The cost of the building was about 1,500. Local people provided much of the funding so it was a church sourced and built by the people of the dale.
The church was consecrated on Saturday April 28, 1906 and the Harrogate Herald stated It was on April 28, 1905 that the work was set out by the architect and exactly 12 months later to the day the opening ceremony took place.
St Michael’s is a beautiful small church with lovely views from the windows and from the porch door, it is well worth a visit.