No coronavirus outbreaks at schools in North Yorkshire since lockdown reopening
There have been no coronavirus outbreaks at schools in North Yorkshire after they reopened last week, it has been confirmed.
North Yorkshire County Council said the region's 440 primary and secondary schools have not reported any outbreaks within the first six days of reopening.
It comes after health officials last week said children are more likely to be harmed by not returning to school than if they catch the virus.
Dr Lincoln Sargeant, North Yorkshire's director of public health, said: “Very few, if any, children or teenagers will come to long-term harm from Covid-19 due solely to attending school."
Most pupils returned on Tuesday after education bosses said all students, in all year groups, are expected to be back behind their desks.
Amanda Newbold, the county council's assistant director for education and skills said: “I am delighted to see so many children returning to school this week.
“Headteachers, staff and governors have worked extremely hard to ensure schools are as safe as possible, so that children can return to their classrooms and benefit once again from the opportunity to learn and achieve in school.”
One-way systems, screens keeping students apart and staggered start and finish times have been introduced to help prevent the spread of the virus.
Dr Sargeant previously said there is "clear evidence from many studies" that the vast majority of children who catch Covid-19 have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all.
He added early evidence suggests the reopening of schools elsewhere has not usually been followed by a surge in cases, although "there has not been sufficient time to say this with confidence".
By Jacob Webster, Local Democracy Reporter