McDonald's responds to rumours that it could reopen 'within weeks' after coronavirus closure
McDonald's has responded to rumours that it could be reopening 'within weeks' after it had to close due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The popular fast food restaurant has been closed in Leeds since March 23 after the government introduced lockdown measures.
Before it decided to close, it had been operating on a takeaway only basis.
At the time, a spokesman for McDonald's said: "This is not a decision we are taking lightly, but one made with the well-being and safety of our employees in mind as well as in the best interests of our customers.”
However, on Friday national media quoted the Irish Farmers Journal which claimed the fast good giant will re-open ‘on a limited basis, with food served via drive-through or, in some cases, delivery’ in mid-May.
“It is understood that McDonald’s had originally planned to reopen on 1 July. However, it now appears that it will reopen on this limited basis at an earlier date,” the report reads.
Responding to the reports on it's official Facebook page, Mcdonald’s offered no confirmed date for a re-opening of the Golden Arches.
The company said: "Well, our notifications are going wild tonight – we miss you too.
"We promise we will update you here as soon as we have confirmed our plans. S
"Stay safe, stay at home and we will see you soon."
Leeds has plenty of McDonald's restaurants across the city.
There are four in Leeds city centre alone after a new store opened on Bond Street last year.
There is also one on Briggate, in the St John's Centre and in Leeds Station.