Ripon family ‘lucky’ after fire causes minimal damage

editorial image

Fire crews have described a Ripon family as being “quite lucky” after an electrical fault caused a fire in their home.

The family arrived home to their house on Ask Bank Road, Ripon, after an evening out to discover there was a fire in the upstairs of the house.

Fire crews were called at 12:57 and discovered that an electrical fault in a lamp has caused the flames.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: “Fire crews who were at the scene have said they are quite lucky as the lamp fire didn’t spread to anything else.”

The lamp was outside and flames had been extinguished when crews arrived.

The fire caused some smoke damage to the ceiling and wall of the room.