More Harrogate taxis taken off the road in latest police checks

Police carried out 22 checks.
Police carried out 22 checks.
2
Have your say

Harrogate taxis found to be non-road worthy have been taken off the road, following a taxi enforcement operation.

North Yorkshire Police’s roads policing group, Harrogate Borough Council (HBC), and the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) carried out the checks from 7pm to 11pm on a Friday night.

During the operation 22 private hire and hackney carriages were stopped and checked and three were taken off the road immediately until they had been made road worthy.

Traffic sgt Andy Morton said: “While many taxi drivers do maintain their vehicles, I was again disappointed that over half the vehicles checked had some form of defect.

“Some of these drivers know their vehicles have defects but chose to continue driving, which is wholly unacceptable. They were putting the lives of passengers at risk. It is the driver’s responsibility to ensure their vehicle is free of defects before they use it.”

Four vehicles were given notices to have defects repaired within seven days, and a further five were given advisory notices for defects.

These spot checks follow a similar operation in September when five cabs were taken off the road to ensure passenger safety in the town.

Sgt Morton added: “We were disappointed in September by the number of vehicles we found with defects and were keen to follow up on that operation, sending the clear message that we want to ensure that the required standards of vehicle safety and licensing are met, particularly in the run up to the busy Christmas period.

“We will continue to work in partnership with other agencies to raise standards and awareness of the importance of vehicle safety. We are already planning further operations of this type.”

In September a total of 21 cabs were checked between, assessing brakes, lights, and to ensure that drivers were properly licensed.

There are around 450 taxis in Harrogate, including 148 Hackney carriages.

HBC licensing committee chair Coun John Ennis (Con) said: “September’s operation should have been an eye opener for taxi drivers to check their vehicles before taking them out.

“However, this latest operation has shown that some drivers are continuing to ignore their responsibilities.

“HBC is committed to the enforcement of our licensing regime and we will continue to work with the police to carry out further operations.

“It is our top priority to ensure passengers and other road users do not find themselves in a situation where their safety is at risk.”