DCSIMG

Unattended candles cause Harrogate house fire

Editorial image

Editorial image

Fire crews battled an early morning house blaze in Harrogate.

Unattended candles are said to have sparked the Azerley Grove fire, after which a 69-year-old woman was treated for smoke inhalation at Harrogate District Hospital.

The resident met crews at the entrance of the four bedroom detached property at 5.08am, and the fire was extinguished by 5.40am.

A spokesperson for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “The fire started in the dining room, and there was damage to a lampshade, wall coverings and carpet, as well as complete heat and smoke damage to the dining room.

“The fire caused extensive smoke damage to the whole of the property. Smoke alarms were fitted at the property and did activate, alerting the occupant.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page