Harrogate hospital confirms plans in place for junior doctors' strike

Harrogate Hospital
Harrogate Hospital
0
Have your say

Harrogate Hospital has stressed that patients requiring ‘urgent and emergency care’ will not be affected by junior doctors’ proposed strike on Tuesday, December 1.

Last week, junior doctors voted overwhelmingly to work out in protest at the government’s decision to impose a contact on them they deem as unfair and unsafe.

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said yesterday, Wednesday, that he was willing to take the dispute to Acas but, so far, the strikes have not been called off.

Phillip Marshall, Director of Workforce and Organisational Development at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust said they have ‘tried and tested’ plans in place to deal with any potential disruption.

He said: “Our main priority remains patient safety. We are continuing to plan for the possibility of industrial action over the coming weeks and to ensure we robustly protect the safety and welfare of patients and ensure that services continue to be provided.

“However, due to increased pressures on services over this period, those in less urgent need of care may experience longer waiting times than normal. “In all cases priority will be given to those patients with the most pressing health needs.”

Mr Marshall said the hospital would continue to work with trade unions to main the ‘safety and quality of patient care’ whilst facilitating the right of staff wanting to take legal action over the introduction of a new contract.”