Fire breaks out in Boroughbridge after garden waste spontaneously combusts

The North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service crew put out the fire on Wednesday evening
The North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service crew put out the fire on Wednesday evening

Firefighters had to be called out in Boroughbridge after a bin containing garden waste spontaneously combusted.

The North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service crew put out the fire on Wednesday evening after it spread from a green waste wheelie bin to a Seat car outside of a residential property on Ashbourne Road.

It remains unclear what exact circumstances caused the garden waste to ignite but the NYFRS have recommended residents be diligent when collecting waste.

A spokesperson for NYFRS said: "In this instance we believe that the cause of the fire was spontaneous combustion caused by garden waste which had been put into a garden waste bin.

"This may have happened because the garden waste was slightly damp when it was placed in the bin. "Thankfully the occurrences of this are pretty rare, however we recommend being careful when storing garden waste in a pile prior to putting it into a bin.”

Garden waste on Ashbourne Road had been collected and placed in the bin earlier on in the day.

Using one hose reel the crews put out the fire which had caused 10 per cent of the vehicle to be damaged.

The spontaneous blaze is believed to have been one of the first to have occurred within the district's waste collection system according to Harrogate Borough Council.

Patrick Kilburn, Harrogate Borough Council’s Head of Parks and Environmental Services said: “Since the garden waste collection service was introduced in 2005, we are not aware of any such incidents of spontaneous combustion happening before.

"It is important that the garden waste wheelie bin is only used to dispose of hedge cuttings, twigs and small branches, grass cuttings, leaves, cut flowers, prunings and plants. It should not be used for any other materials.

"We recommend that garden waste wheelie bins should be kept in the shade, aired regularly in hot weather so that they do not overheat and are kept away from easily combustible materials.”