Fire after Harrogate church-goers left eggs on stove

Fire engine outside a house in Charters Crescent, South Hetton, on Saturday.
Fire engine outside a house in Charters Crescent, South Hetton, on Saturday.

A fire broke out at a house on Skipton Road after the homeowners went to church - leaving a pan of eggs on a lit stove.

A neighbour, who had keys to the house, let the fire brigade in shortly after 11.30am yesterday (Sunday) after seeing smoke at the three-storey house.

Firefighters , unsure if anyone was inside, had brought crews from three fire engines and an aerial ladder platform to battle the blaze.

Thankfully, said officers, nobody was inside and the fire only caused damage to the oven and the eggs.