Harrogate schoolchildren were invited to watch the town’s panto and meet the cast after a roof collapsed at their school, destroying equipment and forcing them into a playground Portakabin.
The ceiling of the reception classroom at Killinghall Primary School collapsed during planned refurbishment work, with no pupils or staff in or near the room.
Insulation boards containing asbestos were exposed as a result of the collapse, leading to the closure of the room, and relocation of reception classes to a playground Portakabin.
And, after seeing the damage, Harrogate Theatre’s Hannah Draper, who runs drama classes at Killinghall, entered the school into a draw to win a trip to see the 2013 show Sleeping Beauty and meet the cast. Last week, all pupils and staff at the school attended Harrogate Theatre for an afternoon performance. School Administrator Victoria Lister said: “It was great, all the pupils and staff really loved it, some of them had never been to a panto before, so it was a real experience for them.
“Afterwards, the cast came to meet us and the pupils were delighted. Everyone from the reception pupils, aged four, to the year 6 pupils aged 11 were there with the staff.”
Refurbishment work was nearly complete when the collapse happened.
Mrs Lister explained: “Work being done on top of the reception class caused the ceiling to collapse. It was all safe, but the exposure of asbestos meant we had to close the classroom. The children have managed brilliantly, but it hasn’t been easy.
“We lost equipment such as computers and other supplies. It is an adventure for the pupils to have a classroom in the playground!”