Generous donations to the Harrogate fire appeal have now topped £30,000 - with more money coming in every day to help victims left devastated by last month’s blaze.
Thirteen families were left homeless after the fire which broke out in Albert Street’s Prezzo restaurant on March 18, destroying housing association flats above.
But, thanks to a flood of donations from thousands of people touched by the appeal, hopes are high they can soon be re-homed.
“Meetings are to be held next week about new homes,” said appeal organiser Gayle Wise from Harrogate’s Natwest bank. “There are seven families that have keys to new properties.
“It’s a case now of getting them in and sorted. Finally, it’s all coming together.”
Thousands of people had watched in horror as the blaze spread on the afternoon of March 18 and many, touched by the plight of those who lost everything, came forward with pledges of support.
Within days, £13,000 had been raised, with one anonymous donor giving a cheque for £10,000. There were hundreds of gifts of food, toiletries, clothing, even pet food, and thousands of pounds more was pledged in vouchers from town centre stores and restaurants.
Funds raised will now help to make the victims new houses a home - with furniture, pictures, painting and more. And efforts are still ongoing with events planned for coming weeks to raise even more.
“I just want to say a massive thank you,” said Miss Wise. “Every donation, from food to toiletries, has made such a difference.”