A threatening sign warning dog owners to clear up after their pets - or face them being poisoned - has been placed on a popular cycleway in Harrogate.
Police were first called to the Beryll Burton cycleway, on Bilton Hall Drive, by horrified dog walkers.
The sign stated that dogs would be poisoned if there owners did not clean up their mess. It has now been removed.
“So far, we have not received any reports of dogs becoming ill after being walked in the local area,” said PC Amy Hunter, of Harrogate Safer Neighbourhood Team.
“However, the sign has caused distress to dog owners using the cycleway to exercise their dogs.
“It is wholly unacceptable that people take the law into their own hands.
“If they have an issue with dog fouling, they should report incidents to Harrogate District Council’s Environmental Protection team with as much information about the owner and dog as possible.
“If you can help to identify the person who put this threatening sign up, I urge you to contact the police or Crimestoppers straight away.”