Cigarette starts Harrogate blaze

editorial image
0
Have your say

Pensioners in sheltered housing had a lucky escape after a fire broke out at Montpellier Court today.

Fire crews from Harrogate and Ripon station were called to attend the fire, which was “well-alight” at the housing accommodation on Cold Bath Road just after 4.15pm.

The blaze had been started by a discarded cigarette from a rubbish chute on the ground floor premises, causing parts of the building to become “smoke-logged” a spokesman for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said.

Officers in charge extinguished the fire in under one hour and nobody is believed to have been injured.