Birstwith

Jim Shipman

01423 772735

shipjimfran@aol.com

Birstwith History: the following extracts are taken out of A Short History of St James’s Church Birstwith, by Geoffrey W Manock, published in 1998. ‘St James’s is fortunate in having a lot of stained glass, so much so the interior can be rather dark on dull days. This point is more than offset by the wonderful effects that are given as the sun moves and the results change with the seasons. The first East window, given by Sarah Greenwood when the church was opened, was painted by Ward and Hughes and depicted the Tranfiguration, the Last Supper, the Agony in the Garden, the Carrying of the Cross, the Crucifixion, the Resurrection and the Ascension. It was given to Hartwith Church in 1888 and replaced by the present magnificent window given as a tribute to the founder Frederick Greenwood by his friends. The window was designed by John William Brown and made by James Powell. It depicts the Ascension and is a fine example of Victorian stained glass. The window half way down the south wall will be noticed as having a markedly different style to the rest of the stained glass. It is attributed to Clayton, the master of late Victorian glass, but there is no record to support this view. Now for the puzzle. the window to the left of the pulpit, showing Abraham and his son, was in need of lead repair in the 1950’s. The window was replaced when the work was completed, but to the horror of the craftsman the panels were not in correct order. He was embarrassed, waived his fee for the work, but did not reposition the panels. Can you spot the mistake?’